The senior national selection committee of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) unveiled the 15-member squad for the upcoming ICC ODI World Cup. The announcement came after a late-night meeting held in Sri Lanka, where chairman Ajit Agarkar met with Indian captain Rohit Sharma and coach Rahul Dravid to make the final selections.
Inclusions and Exclusions in India’s World Cup Squad:
- KL Rahul secured his spot in the team, making a comeback, while Sanju Samson missed out on selection.
- Tilak Varma and Prasidh Krishna, currently in Sri Lanka for the Asia Cup, also failed to make the World Cup cut.
Key Players and Their Roles in the ICC World Cup :
- Rohit Sharma will lead the team, and Ishan Kishan earned his place in the squad for his impressive middle-order batting performance.
- Batting will be anchored by Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, and Suryakumar Yadav.
- The all-rounders’ category includes Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, and Shardul Thakur, enhancing the batting depth.
- The pace attack will be led by Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Shami, and Mohammed Siraj, while spinner Kuldeep Yadav also secured a spot.
Rahul’s Fitness and His Inclusion in the ICC World Cup Squad :
The selection committee carefully considered KL Rahul’s fitness status, and after receiving medical clearance, he was included in the squad. Rahul has been actively training and batting at the National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru. He is expected to join the Indian team during the Asia Cup in Sri Lanka.
Rahul’s Fitness and Inclusion in the ICC World Cup Squad:
The BCCI initially planned to hold the selection committee meeting on September 4, with a deadline of September 5 for submitting the final World Cup squad to the International Cricket Council (ICC). However, with Rahul’s medical green signal, they decided not to wait an extra day.
Rahul’s Injury History:
KL Rahul, a consistent presence in the starting XI and a likely wicketkeeper-batsman for the World Cup, had been sidelined for the past three and a half months due to surgery on his right thigh. Earlier, Agarkar had mentioned that Rahul had suffered a minor injury, leading to Sanju Samson being considered as a backup option.