DUBAI: The International Cricket Council (ICC) has announced the contenders for the prestigious Player of the Month awards for June. In the men’s category, notable performers include Wanindu Hasaranga of Sri Lanka, Travis Head of Australia, and Sean Williams of Zimbabwe.
Hasaranga, an exceptional spinner, made a remarkable impact by taking an astonishing 26 wickets with an impressive average of 10.00. He also achieved a historic feat in ODI cricket, becoming the first spinner to secure three consecutive five-wicket hauls during the ongoing ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Qualifier in Zimbabwe.
Outstanding Performances by Men’s Nominees
Travis Head demonstrated his remarkable skills with an exceptional innings of 163 runs in the first innings of Australia’s triumphant World Test Championship Final against India. Additionally, he strengthened his nomination by adding a valuable half-century to his impressive contributions during the initial Ashes Test.
Similarly, Sean Williams from Zimbabwe made a significant impression with his remarkable batting performance. He scored an impressive total of 532 runs in five matches of the World Cup Qualifier, averaging an outstanding 133, including three centuries. His noteworthy strike-rate of 148.60 adds to his credentials as a deserving nominee.
Exceptional Performances in the Women’s Category
In the women’s category, Tammy Beaumont of England, Ashleigh Gardner of Australia, and Hayley Matthews of the West Indies have been recognized for their exceptional performances. Tammy Beaumont made history by becoming the first English woman to achieve a Test double hundred during the Ashes Test in Nottingham, displaying her immense skill and determination.
Ashleigh Gardner’s outstanding bowling figures, including four wickets for 99 runs in the first innings and a match-winning performance of eight for 66 in the second innings of the Test match against England, have propelled her into contention for the award once again.
Hayley Matthews showcased her all-round abilities by scoring a century and claiming three wickets in the West Indies’ victory over Ireland in the first ODI of the series, earning her nomination.
Selection Process and Announcement
The ICC, through a press release, explained that the shortlisted nominees in each category are selected based on their performances throughout the month. The final selection process involves the independent ICC Voting Academy, consisting of renowned cricket personalities such as journalists, former players, broadcasters, and ICC Hall of Fame members. The Voting Academy holds 90% of the vote and submits their choices via email. The remaining 10% is determined by registered ICC fans, who can cast their votes on the ICC website. The winners will be announced on the second Monday of every month through the ICC’s digital platforms, celebrating the exceptional talents recognized by the cricket community.